Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, mainly until you feel a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner failure. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and abruptly recognize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uneasiness? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be operating properly, but it still reads that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that requires a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many explanations why air conditioners break down, especially taking into consideration the weather in Muskogee. Here are some things that you can look for before you call Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your exterior air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and discover that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat movement isn’t occurring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This failure can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other potential internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely troubles that Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner reduce proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season strikes. Dirty air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an barrier or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can cause your air conditioner to lose efficiency and slow down.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, also.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also slowed down from outdoor blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned frequently to reduce the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and tests that you should inspect and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature set below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things fix your system procedure, call Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. at 918-682-8238.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you restless at night. If you follow these procedures and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. in Muskogee is always here to be of service – give us a call at 918-682-8238.