The chilly temperatures in winter usually lead to high heating bills. Can you find ways to keep your home cozy without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. has some tips for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help improve your energy efficiency and help reduce your heating bills this winter:
- Make the most of sunny days in Muskogee to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds and allow the sun to give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from getting in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can control your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and enhance your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work more and decrease your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick examination of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns blocked? Make sure they’re clear for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start researching a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help decrease your energy bills for years to come.
- We all know that heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and sneak out through the attic. Ensure your attic is well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- Many people don’t realize this, but heat can also escape through your roof. Check it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is a full-time job, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 918-682-8238. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even in the harshest Muskogee weather.