According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. in Muskogee about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc.. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Muskogee home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. at 918-682-8238 or schedule an appointment online.