As the heat increases, so does your air conditioning bills. To keep your air conditioning expenses controlled you may be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Muskogee?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually a myth.
Keeping your air conditioner on constantly means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise setting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and turning it down when you get back. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the work for you.
It’s a lot more laborious for your system to keep a constant temperature throughout the day. It can also result in a lot of stress on your equipment, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it can also lead to a shortened life span for your HVAC system.
In any case, the larger the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your energy bills will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your utility bills lower in the summer season? Here are our tips based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat Usage. The DOE affirms that you can spend up to 10% less annually on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re out of the house. During the warmer months, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s equally as important to avoid setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your home any faster, it just leads to bigger energy expenses. While these temperatures may feel toasty, there are a number of ways to keep cool without having to always run the AC.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says increasing the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower air conditioning costs by up to 14% throughout the warmer months. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not areas. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to be energy efficient. Additionally, keeping blinds down and curtains shut for the duration of the day helps keep cooler air inside. There are also some window solutions meant to deliver added insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Effectively Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks around a house enable cool air to easily slip out and warmer air to get inside. This may lead to your air conditioner needing to work harder to keep your residence comfortable and your AC expenses to rise. Make certain that any openings, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple mends for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Schedule Annual Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your air conditioner is always functioning at its most efficient. This permits our professionals to spot small issues before they become major problems. A well-kept AC is usually more efficient and can even last longer.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best methods to assure comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively alters the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works with your smartphone to sense when you’re at home or away to enhance your energy savings. In fact, ENERGY STAR says that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 yearly on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can figure an adequately taken care of AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly contacting us for air conditioning repair or your utility expenses are skyrocketing with no shifts in thermostat settings, it could be time for an upgrade. We offer many energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without bargaining comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc.
No one enjoys seeing their utility bill climb during the summer season. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy consumption and bills down this summer, our pros can help. Give us a call at 918-682-8238 or contact us online right away for extra details.