Spring is in the air here in Muskogee and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to correspond with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your awesome sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. in Muskogee a call at 918-682-8238.