Summer weather in Muskogee can be rough. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility costs. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The top thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by servicing your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system running at its best and efficiently, and Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. can make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to operate longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of proper system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is routinely looking at your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy bills and damage your equipment, which may lead to premature failure. Our Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. pros will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to change them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people often forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. at call at 918-682-8238 or request an appointment with us online.