Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Muskogee, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. in Muskogee a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 918-682-8238 or book an appointment with us online.