When you’re wanting ways to decrease energy bills, getting a smart thermostat is a smart move. These devices adjust to your favorite temperatures and routine and then develop an energy-efficient schedule to match. What’s even better is that you can change and watch your settings from just about anywhere with your phone, whether you’re lying in bed or on the go. (You might even be eligible for a free smart thermostat depending on rebate programs from your utility company in Muskogee.)
In many instances, installing a smart home thermostat with the help of Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. is a simple job if you have a newer house. But what if your home is older or doesn’t have the right wiring? Can you still install a smart thermostat without C wire? We’ll help you figure out the process so you can pick the right thermostat and enjoy energy savings for many years.
What Is a C Wire and What Does It Do on a Thermostat?
Most programmable thermostats need batteries. When you’re switching to a smart thermostat, you’ll learn that many require a C wire, or common wire, for power. If you don’t have this wire, your new thermostat may cause your heating and cooling system to have malfunctions.
You can find out if you have a C wire by doing the following:
- Turn off power to the thermostat at the breaker.
- Take off the thermostat and check the wiring.
- If there are five or six multicolored wires, you have what’s needed for a smart thermostat. You might be pondering what color is the C wire on a thermostat—and the answer to that is typically blue.
- If there are three or four thin multicolored wires, you’re almost there. Make sure the C wire isn’t tucked inside the wall. If you can’t find one, we may be able to install one for you or you may be able to use your new thermostat without one.
- If you have two thick wires, you may be able to install a smart thermostat with an adaptor just for high-voltage systems. Or you may be able to operate a battery-powered smart thermostat, like the Lux Geo Wi-Fi Thermostat, if your wiring is incompatible and you don’t want to replace it.
Do Nest or ecobee Need a C Wire?
Two of the best-selling brands are the Nest smart thermostat and ecobee smart thermostat. If you have two to four wires, these thermostats might work for your home.
Nest says its thermostats are made to consume not a lot of power and can often share it with your home comfort system. However, you may need to have a specialist like Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. install a C wire with the Nest Thermostat E or Nest Learning Thermostat if you’re experiencing power problems or a battery that’s constantly drained.
ecobee works with 24-volt systems (ones with three to six thermostat wires) and has a C wire adaptor. So, you’re taken care of if you don’t have a thermostat C wire.
Depend on Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc. for Your Smart Thermostat Installation Needs
At Hix Air Conditioning Service, Inc., we’re always looking for methods to keep you cozier while keeping utility expenses reasonable. If you want to know more about upgrading to a smart thermostat without a C wire, contact us at 918-682-8238. We can help you pick the right model for your residence and even install new wiring if needed.